top of page


Electricity supply in India is generally 220V AC, which is similar to Europe.

That means that electrical and electronic devices from the USA would not work in India without some sort of voltage adaptor.


Please do not attempt to connect the US devices as it may damage them and possibly cause a fire risk.


It is worth noting that the AC mains voltage often fluctuates to dangerous levels, above 300V AC. For this reason, it is advisable to use adapters and extension boards that have in-built surge protection. We would also suggest that if you’re travelling, switch off the mains switches in your home until you come back, to avoid damage to appliances or even small fires. This includes air conditioning systems.


There are two main types of plugs in India, a 6A plug and a 16A plug, both of which have three round pins. The 16A plug is the larger of the two and is generally used for large appliances such as fridges, heaters, etc. A lot of appliances come with a two pin plug which often needs an adaptor to ensure proper contact.

Most adaptors/extension boards have sockets that accept a variety of plugs including US, Australia, UK, Switzerland, etc.


It is advisable to use UPS devices to back-up essential items, such as TVs, as power cuts are frequent. These can be bought online or at stores like Chroma.

Plumbing & Water

Plumbing can be the source of much frustration anywhere in the world.

It is sensible to locate the main water taps in the house or flat in case of major leaks.

Most condominiums/estates have their own maintenance services to repair leaks and other problems.

Drinking tap water is not advisable.

Most houses/flats have a Reverse Osmosis (RO) device which filters and purifies the water. It is important to ensure the RO is serviced regularly and that the filtering elements are changed at least once a year.

Mobile Phone, Internet/Broadband

There are several suppliers of mobile phone (cell phone) and internet services - both national and regional operators.

Mobile: Airtel, Jio, Vodafone/Idea & BSNL.

Internet: Airtel, Jio, BSNL, Vodafone and some local cable operators.


For all of these, you will need passport photos, copies of your passport and visa page as well as proof of address such as the flat/house lease. It is recommended to always have these handy as most services require them.

Torn/Damaged Money

If you are given torn or damaged notes, even from the banks. It is best to refuse them and ask for undamaged ones. If you accept them, you will have great difficulties getting rid of the notes as no one will accept them. The only other way is to go to the bank to exchange them.

bottom of page